Saturday 24 December 2011

A Christmas message from Paris

Street artist Michael Beerens has been given the freedom of a wall in my street over the last six months or so, and changes the creation displayed there on a monthly basis. This week, a rather sobering Christmas message has appeared (Merry Christmas to those who sleep outside).

Beerens uses his art to share messages, but lightens the sometimes heavy themes with humour and a wide range of fantastic animals. Although the message here is a reminder of our privileged positions at this time of year, I'd like to think that it can also be taken at face value, and that he is genuinely addressing those who sleep on the
floor of the city gallery. Taken this way, it may seem slightly crass, but at least he is directly addressing those to whom most people turn a blind eye.

4 comments:

PeterParis said...

You know my interest in street art and you are lucky to have such a good example in your immediate neighbourhood!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

When I saw your Christmas post,it had special meaning for me,because I saw that painting yesterday,and I noticed it had been changed,but I didn't know the significance of the message. It is also good to know that we live in the same neighborhood, since I read your blog every weekend. Thank you for all you do.
Grace

Adam said...

Thanks for your comment Grace, and for following the blog. I always think that street art should have some kind of message, and I'm glad that I've helped you to decipher this one!

Anonymous said...

Accidentally we have visited your sms web but we have really enjoyed your best sms on Christmas , please keep it up.
Merry Christmas messages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Instagram Write Bookmark this page More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Premium Wordpress Themes